The glorious and triumphant return of now-19 year old Blogger, the revival of a once-grand and dare I say influential webspace that produced daily content, and the crippling anxiety of a young woman who no longer has any time or motivation to write, and feels like any ability she had acquired in the past through repetition and sheer will alone is now slowly slipping out of her grasp. Brief history of the Blog and Blogger can be found here.

Here be personal journal entries, observations, slices of life, questions and conclusions, as well as exploration of social and political topics seen through the lens of a Malaysian Muslim, feminist, lesbian, Marxist, and horse enthusiast.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thirty-Four

I'm thinking blue sweater, with a yellow F on it. Where and how can I get on that?

Anyways, I don't know if you know what a Mary Sue is but at nine, I didn't either. But what little you know of it doesn't matter, not at all, because this fanfic epitomizes the Mary Sue character. And that was the first fanfic I had ever read, in my entire life. 

So amazing. I don't remember whether I fully understood the concept of fanfiction. I mean, I must have because it wasn't all that hard. Fans write about what they think should happen in a story instead of the way it was originally written. It was months later, after a couple dozen more terribly written fanfics, that I discovered the difference between canon and fanon. And then a few years later, slash. 

Of course, I never used to read anything higher up than an R. That was the general rule I had for myself. And it wasn't like I went actively searching. But, wow, back to that gem up there. What a discovery, eh? Safe to say, from then on, I tried to avoid original characters as much as possible. God knows hpff is chock full of them. I just checked on hpff. No idea why Ginny's in the header. As much as I'd like to stroll down FictionAlley, I think I'll save that for another time. 

But in the mean time, everyone should be exposed to Ask Moony

No comments:

Post a Comment